jueves, 27 de septiembre de 2012

Massive Open Online Course in Santa Ana

Today I gave a chat in Santa Ana. It is the second largest city in El Salvador (64 kilometers northwest of San Salvador). Santa Ana serves both as the capital of the department of Santa Ana and as the municipal seat for the surrounding municipality of the same name.

The University of El Salvador has four campuses. Behind the central campus in San Salvador, the capital city, the second largest campus is located in Santa Ana (around 9000 students). Engineering and architecture students represent 22% of total enrollment. Electrical, Mechanical and Chemistry Engineering can study for only two years. After finishing the second year they have to move to San Salvador. Other majors (computer systems, industrial and civil engineering) can be studied here without the need to move to the capital city.
I was invited to talk about The Campus Tsunami, as MOOC was defined by David Brooks in the New York Times. In general students were very receptive about this idea. Some of them even complain to me about how abandoned they feel in their regular courses. I tried to persuade them to get enrolled; to make this effort and enjoy the pleasure of learning.

It was my first trip to this campus. I felt so comfortable. I just can hope my message could have some results.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario